Subject: Re: [boost] 5 Observations - My experience with the boost libraries
From: strasser_at_[hidden]
Date: 2010-03-23 20:17:25

Zitat von Tom Brinkman <reportbase2007_at_[hidden]>:

>>> To you. There are many graphics shops that make extensive use of c++
> *and* boost.
>
> Not true. Sure, we use C++ around the edges. The actual graphics code is
> all done in C. There are no popular C++ graphics libraries. Sorry. Its
> not possible, graphics libraries require hardware acceleartion. Sure there
> are C++ wrappers around the C libraries that do the acceleration, so you are
> loosly correct. But the actual graphics code is all done in C.

the (realtime) graphics/gaming industry is notorious for being among
the latest adopters when it comes to platform/toolchain. some of this
is well-founded because of special requirements like compile-time and
efficient debug-builds, but a lot of it is also for reasons I can only
speculate resemble the opinion you expressed above.

if you want to help boost to better meet the requirements of that
industry I'm sure you're welcome to do so. a good starting point would
be to read this document by your colleagues at EA about their
implementation of STL, intrusive containers and more, specifically
tuned towards gaming/realtime graphics:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html

it's from 2007, so it can only be another decade until your industry
switches to Windows...I mean, switches to C++.