Subject: Re: [boost] 5 Observations - My experience with the boost libraries
From: Fabio Fracassi (f.fracassi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-24 18:43:52

Edward Diener wrote:
> On 3/24/2010 1:11 AM, Tom Brinkman wrote:
>> Thanks John.
>>

> As for who might be willing to take over maintenance of someone else's
> Boost library I think there are enough skillful people who follow Boost
> that if there were a policy by which a new maintainer were to be looked
> for when an original author of a library no longer wishes to maintain
> it, another person would be found.

I think that for maintainance chores we do not need an owner/maintainer,
but should simply allow anyone interested enough (who has "earned" svn
access) to just fix them.
Many big Open Source projects work this way, most even collect/mark
issues that they want "newbees" to fix. Patches are usually send to the
devel list and reviewd by one or more of the regulars. Someone who
managed to get 2-3 patches commited will usually be given commit rights,
and can then start to bring in more people.

I think by giving maintainance to a group of people greatly lowers the
barrier of entry into the community.

regards

Fabio