Subject: Re: [boost] 5 Observations - My experience with the boost libraries
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-24 22:27:47

On 3/24/2010 9:31 PM, David Abrahams wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2010, at 2:26 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
>
>> I am suggesting that Boost create some sort of policy so that maintenance of an actively used Boost library be transferred to others whenever the original library author(s) no longer wish to maintain the library.
>
> Great! Can you start a new thread that gives a detailed proposal for the policy, so we have something to work with?

I do not have a detailed proposal, nor do I think one is needed. Just
explain to those submitting libraries to Boost that if they no longer
support their library under Boost the maintenance of the library will be
offered to someone else who wishes to support and maintain it. By
support it can be explained as a willingness to fix bugs, update docs if
they deem it necessary and possibly add or extend features if it is
apropos to what the library was originally intended to do.

I do not think that delineating exactly what support of a library by a
developer means is going to help anyone. I take it that Boost developers
are smart enough to know when they are no longer supporting their
library, and that quite a few developers may indeed liike the fact that
when they get tired of supporting their library someone else will take
it over.