Subject: Re: [boost] 5 Observations - My experience with the boost libraries
From: Markus Werle (numerical.simulation_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-25 18:53:33

Tom Brinkman wrote:

> 1) Boost uses exceptions.

I am not surprised.
Boost was written in *modern* C++.
Exceptions are such a central concept in modern C++ you cannot really get
around it.

Take the chance to get deterministic code using RAII with exceptions and
proper stack unwinding. Something I really like a lot.

Maybe the whole point is not about boost but about modern C++ being disliked
by those who never had the chance to get known to its advantages ...

> As boost libraries tend to throw exceptions, it forces you to put
> try-catch blocks all over your code.

Not true.
I have a 65000 LOC project (GUI, numerics, 3D plots) where I thought of
exceptions right from the beginning. There are about 15 catch clauses, 2
which I really need, the rest due to compiler issues or lazy quick hacks
added later.

Q: What is wrong with try-catch blocks all over your code?

Markus