Subject: Re: [boost] 5 Observations - My experience with the boost libraries
From: Joel Falcou (joel.falcou_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-26 05:05:04

Lubomir Bourdev wrote:
>> Also, GIL can spit some really nasty error messages. Not your fault,
>> but can be a little scarey.
>
> I have some thoughts about this as well. It is possible to write a script
> that filters this giant error output and returns a much more compact and
> human readable error description. For example, replace the page-long
> description of an 8-bit rgb view with 'rgb8_view_t', etc.

I never really used GIL but, are those long errors possibly be changed
into smaller SFINAE or static assert check so you only got a simple
static_assert***FAILURE*** or a no such function message ?

We had the same kind of problem in NT² and we took some time putting
MPL_ASSERT or enable_if in critical code path so errors went nicer.