Subject: Re: [boost] Bignum Library Interest?
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-26 09:22:43

You should liaise with him?

> I made a bignum frontend with libtommath backend. This is a rough
> version of what I want to do. I thought I'd see if anyone was interested
> before I put more effort in to it.
>
> http://seth.dnsdojo.net/code/mpa.zip
> Note: This only compiles on Linux. I've read the boost library
> submission process guidelines and I will make this library conform to
> them if I continue to work on it.
> Note: "include/mpa/mpa.hpp" is the most interesting part. Look at
> "lib_src/libmpa/mpa.cpp" for the libtommath backend stuff.

Looks promising, but many believe that it is important to be able to switch to use GMP
- if performance demands and license allows.

> I think the project should have these specifications.
>
> Boost Library Name: MPA (Multi-Precision Arithmetic)
> Namespace: boost::mpa::
>
> Guidelines:
> 1. Use PIMPL (to make different backends easier in the distant future).

But see Barend Gehrels outline of a 'nuemric_adaptor' to make the switching work.

> 2. DO NOT focus on backend work. Focus on making the frontend nice. Use
> libtommath backend (boost compatible license, portable, well tested, not
> as fast as GMP).
> 3. DO NOT focus on performance. Library won't get off the ground if it
> is required to be as fast as GMP from the start.
> 4. DO NOT implement floating point. Similar reason to #3.
>
> -----------------------------------
>
> Are any of the guidelines bad?

These look OK to me.

But would add

 - must be portable to multiplatform

- must be Boost tests.

- must be Boost licence throughout (you might simply get your 'other' author to agree to this?)

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse