Subject: Re: [boost] New Boost.XInt Library, request preliminary review
From: Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. (jhellrung_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-27 06:07:10

Chad Nelson wrote:
>>> This disables the copy-on-write optimization that the library uses by
>>> default [...]
>> I'm not convinced that integers should be COW. What situations do you
>> forsee where COW would be helpful but move semantics wouldn't suffice?
>
> As described on the rationale page of the documentation, the primary
> reason I'm using copy-on-write is that move semantics aren't widely
> available yet. Portability is one of my primary goals, and while I've
> seen references to a move-semantics-emulator in Boost, I've also seen
> suggestions that it relies on the compiler to somehow recognize it. That
> doesn't sound fully portable to me.
> - --
> Chad Nelson
> Oak Circle Software, Inc.

Have you looked at the (proposed) Boost.Move library by Ion (available
from the sandbox)? It does a pretty good job of emulating move
semantics for compilers that lack rvalue references. Not sure what
you're referring to by "suggestions that it relies on the compiler to
somehow recognize it"...can you elaborate?

- Jeff