Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC 2010] Sweepline algorithm
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-27 09:16:43

Marcin Fatyga wrote:
> Though there is no geometry library in current release, I can see it is in
> development phase. Should the project be integrated with it/use it?

You could look at the 'Spatial Indexes' project from a previous GSoC: <http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2008/09/142219.php>. In that case, the project itself just used Boost.Geometry, and the integration into Boost.Geometry was done by Barend Gehrels: <http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2009/03/150165.php>.

Just because I used Boost.Geometry in my explanation doesn't mean that the project should use Boost.Geometry. It's probably more a Boost.Polygon project, because Lucanus Simonson is a possible mentor for it. Also, integer coordinates could make the impossible task at hand a bit easier, and Boost.Polygon already has some algorithms that are only implemented for integer coordinates.

> In my project I would like to implement the sweepline and
> then use Fortune's Algorithm to solve the Voronoi Diagram's problem.

I would love to comment a bit on this, but I guess it is better to just make clear that you are welcome, and let Lucanus Simonson, Barend Gehrels, Mateusz Loskot and the other geometry experts do the discussions about the technical details.

Regards,
Thomas