Subject: [boost] GSOC query for Heaps and Que
From: Chirag (er.chiraggupta_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-27 11:53:26

Hello Sir

The Boost C++ library has mutable_heap and mutable_que and the current
container works perfectly for basic datatypes like double , int etc but for
datatypes like pointers it requires that user should have knowledge of
property_map types.
Sir for making mutable heaps , can we ask user for a hash function from
the user for the data type he want to make the heap.
This way we can hash each newly added value to heap and store pointer for
that which will point to its location in the original heap.
Here two problem i am facing
1) Can user provide a hash function for all data types
2) Worst case of hashing search would be O(n) though it chances are very low
.

I know O(n) case is not wat we are aiming to achieve but for users who dont
want to get into understanding of property map they can use this heap
instead , and I am thinking of giving it as a option to the already
available mutable que in boost.
This is just a idea I am proposing and its definately not final , I am
thinking on other ways to improve it . I just want to know if it is a good
option to give or not.

Thanks
Chirag
IIT guwahati