Subject: [boost] [GSoC] Advanced data structures library
From: Rui Gonçalves (ruippeixotog_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-28 15:57:23

Hello,

I'm new to this community. My name is Rui Gonçalves and I'm thinking about
submitting an application to Boost in Google Summer of Code. In particular,
due to my own programming interests in data structures, generic programming
and abstraction layer developing in general, I would be very happy in
developing an advanced data structures library. As suggested in the ideias
page, it would have includes various types of heaps and queues. I haven't
had time to look at all different libraries, but if there is some known data
structure with implementation needed, I would not mind implementing that
too.
I had a look at the /boost/pending available implementations. A lot of code
could be reused / ported; however, I think that the source code could be
more standardized between heap implementations. I'm thinking in a
STL-like implementation, like:

template < class T, class Heap = binary_heap<T>, class Compare =
less<T> > class priority_queue;

template < class T, class Container = vector<T>, class Compare =
less<T> > class fibonacci_heap;

I already looked in books for some more obscure details of each
algorithm, and haven't found anything excessively difficult. This
seems a rather simple project (although I recognize it can take some
time). Is there some convention or requirements for data structures in
Boost? Is there any difficulty that I should be aware of but didn't
notice, or any detail about GSoC that I should know? (I'm new to that
program and I feel kind of lost).

Thank you in advance for your help,

Rui Gonçalves