Subject: Re: [boost] Transfer of Maintenance Rights (utility/value_init)
From: Fernando Cacciola (fernando.cacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-29 10:54:12

Hi Edward,

> On 3/27/2010 7:20 PM, Niels Dekker - address until 2010-10-10 wrote:
>> Edward Diener wrote:
>>> I will cite a few where it seems to me that the original developer
>>> is nowhere around anymore, but this is just subjective and I might
>>> be totally wrong:
>>> value_init
>>
>> As far as I know, Fernando Cacciola, the original developer of
>> utility/value_init, is still around. I've been doing some maintenance to
>> value_init as well, reviewed by Fernando. And I'm still busy fixing
>> "Unconditional call to memset in value_initialized()"
>> <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/3869>. Unfortunately I haven't
>> got enough time to finalize the fix this month, sorry! I hope to do so
>> before the end of April.
>
> I am aware that you have taken over some of the work on it from Fernando.
>

>> We still need to have a decision about your "Setting
>> value_initialized<T> to a value when T is a top-level const"
>> <https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/3472>. You know, I wasn't
>> entirely sure about your proposed fix, so I proposed a slightly
>> different fix. I still hope Fernando can make a choice between the two.
>
> I never heard back from Fernando about this so I assumed he was no
> longer active as a maintainer of his library.

I guess you can say that, though is not I'm intentionally out of the loop. I
just never have the time.

> My suggested fix is so
> simple that it is hard for me to understand why it should take so long
> for a decision to be made on it unless he was no longer involved.

Actually, your fix is NOT so simple, not conceptually. That's why Niels proposed
something else.
Anyway a decision needs to be made and if I won't do it on time (for whatever
reason), someone else must be given the mantaince rights.
Having said that, I'll make a decision in the next few days.

Best

--
Fernando Cacciola
SciSoft Consulting, Founder