Subject: Re: [boost] GSOC BigInt Licensing Issues
From: Felipe Tanus (fotanus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-29 17:06:05

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Stewart, Robert
<Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]  (That brings rise to comments regarding popularity and vendor attention to such libraries.  BigInt could become sufficiently popular to gain the necessary attention to become as efficient as GMP, but that will be a long and uphill climb.  OTOH, if BigInt becomes a standard library, then it will be up to vendors to optimize it, so Boost.BigInt only has to be "good enough," in terms of performance, to reach that status.) [...]

I just would like to reinforce to GSoC applicants and mentors that
creating a BigInt lib from scratch would be a really great project,
but by the time limitations from GSoC a great project may end up in a
great unfinished project. So, if you are going to apply in the BigInt
project idea, please be realistic. It would be a shame to see another
unfinished library (and somewhat abandoned or decentralized) like
Boost.Process in GSoC.

--
Felipe de Oliveira Tanus
E-mail: fotanus_at_[hidden]