Subject: Re: [boost] [lock-free] CDS -yet another lock-free library
From: Khiszinsky, Maxim (Maxim.Khiszinsky_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-03-30 03:35:24

Helge Bahmann wrote:

> Sure, if you turn optimization off, code looks ridiculous. Both gcc
> (tested with various versions ranging from 3.3 to 4.4) and msvc (visual
> studio express) optimize the switch/case with constant operand into
> nothingness.

Sorry, the problem observed on MS VC++ 2008 x86 with full optimization and SSE instruction set. See my previous answer to Phil with explanations.
GCC is not studied by me.

> I would however be very interested in sparc and ia64 atomic operations,
> would you be interested in implementing (or lending me a hand) them for
> boost.atomic?

You may try CDS implementation of sparc and ia64 atomics:
  cds\compiler\gcc\ia64\atomic.h - for itanium ia64
  cds\compiler\gcc\sparc\atomic.h - for sparc 64bit mode
These files contain template and common versions of 32bit and 64bit atomic primitives.

If you need I can extract it from CDS for you, no problem.
It works well with CDS tests but I'm not sure whether it is correct...