Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC 2010: Heaps and Queues
From: Dan Larkin (danielhlarkin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-03 11:47:41

Andrew Sutton wrote:
> You could the "project description" to the list. That's usually what you
> want to have people look at.

Okay, sounds good. To that effect:

I would like to implement a library which allows a simple, unified
concept for a heap/priority queue with a common interface. Through this
common interface, I would allow the user to select the specific model to
use based on their needs.

The standard interface would allow the following functions to be used
regardless of the model:
  - insert
  - delete
  - merge
  - findMin
  - deleteMin
  - decreaseKey

Furthermore, I would implement the following heap models:
  - D-ary
  - Binomial
  - Fibonacci
  - Brodal (may be replaced with a different model with similar
performance, pending further research)

That's the gist of it. I'm not sure how much detail you want in the
proposal, since a lot of the detail would be essentially in the form of
code and I personally feel it would encroach upon the domain of the
actual project work itself. In any case let me know what all of you
think and what extra information you would want from me.

Dan Larkin