Subject: Re: [boost] New Boost.XInt Library, request preliminary review
From: DE (satan66613_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-04 04:48:55

on 04.04.2010 at 5:27
 Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. wrote :
> Chad gave the practical reason. But perhaps more fundamentally, the
> information (the sign bit) is *there*, and I'd like it to be usable,
> even if the mantissa is zero. If you don't want to distinguish between
> -0 and +0 (and I don't see why you would when strictly in the domain of
> integers), then you won't ever notice there are 2 different representations.
> [...]
> And it *is* natural for sign + magnitude (which I had been slightly
> mistakenly calling "sign + mantissa") representations. If builtin
> integers were based on a sign + magnitude or 1's complement
> representation, we'd already be used to dealing with signed zeros:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signed_number_representations

> I'm guessing it's simpler in hardware to use 2's complement, but we're
> pretty much stuck with sign + magnitude AFAICT for an unbounded integer
> library.

i think that designing the interface assuming the implementation is a
very bad idea
but designing the interface keeping the implementation in mind is
whole lot better
so assuming that "the sign bit is there" (but rather a sign bool) is a
bad idea because you restrict the implementation
given such restrictions prevents you from easily switching to
arbitrary implementation
so my point is that the interface must be design regardless of the
implementation (but keeping it in mind)

--
Pavel
P.S.