Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] Boost.Matrix RFC
From: Andrew Sutton (andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-06 10:28:54

>> Ah... good catch. Your proposal should definitely address how you plan to
>> adapt your matrix class(es) to the Boost.LA library in the review queue.
>> Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be much overlap in functionality.
>>

> How is a static-sized matrix class not a subset of a static size linear
> algebra library?

They are -- in fact, the library provides mat and vec classes that trivially
wrap C-arrays (but do so in a not particularly thorough way). I actually
missed those in my 1st glance over of the docs. Obviously there would be
overlap if the proposed matrix data structure was wrapping static arrays. If
the underlying matrix data was dynamically allocated, you now have a very
different (i.e., moveable) matrix data structure.

I doubt there is anything to gain by adapting another matrix class to it.

I think that there is value in this proposal.

> Due to the genericity of its design, the library doesn't seem to support
> SIMD. This might lead to quite some heated discussion during its review...
> (hey, shouldn't the compiler take care of that? ;))

Andrew Sutton
andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]