Subject: Re: [boost] GSoC 20010: Boost.Thread towards the C++0x standardproposal
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-06 16:01:12

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan" <mstefanro_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 2:40 PM

vicente.botet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is someone interested in adapting the current Boost.Thread interface to the C++0x stardard proposal?
>
> Best,

Unfortunately, detailed specification and implementations of std::thread
won't appear until after TR2 is released, which means that there is not
much to be done at this point to write Boost.Thread as a wrapper for
std::thread.
One can check this proposal for a TR2 threading library if interested:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2005/n1883.pdf
(important notes on IV.C, Comparison with the Boost.Thread approach)
However, I believe that this idea should be dropped at the moment since
there isn't sufficient information about the upcoming C++1x threading
library. Maybe it will be more appropriate for the next year's GSoC ;)
But maybe I'm just wrong and misinformed.

Yours faithfully,
  Stefan

Hi,

I was not refering to the Kevlin Henney proposal, but the one it is already accepted in N3092 http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2010/n3092.pdf

The chapter include the complete proposal. You can take a look at chapter 30. In http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2008/n2661.htm#Threads N2661 - A Foundation to Sleep On you can see some of the changes needed.

Anyway, I think that it will be also a good idea for GSoC to implementing the Kevlin Henney proposal, even if the proposal is yet open. I remember that there was an implementation of this before futures had been included in C++0x.

Best,
Vicente