Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] Boost.Matrix RFC
From: Andrew Sutton (andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-06 19:03:34

> >> How is a static-sized matrix class not a subset of a static size linear
> >> algebra library?
> >>

> > They are -- in fact, the library provides mat and vec classes that
> trivially
> > wrap C-arrays (but do so in a not particularly thorough way). I actually
> > missed those in my 1st glance over of the docs. Obviously there would be
> > overlap if the proposed matrix data structure was wrapping static arrays.
> If
> > the underlying matrix data was dynamically allocated, you now have a very
> > different (i.e., moveable) matrix data structure.
>
> Actually I'm forced to retract my proposal. The whole idea was to wrap
> static sized data in matrix and vector adapters, to allow efficient
> usage in computer graphics applications (e.g. games) for allowing ease
> of optimization and things like SIMD.

That's too bad. I was hoping you would be able to adapt the proposal to
implement a dynamically allocated matrix. I should hope you can still take
advantage of SIMD optimizations with dynamically allocated memory. Plus,
move-friendly data structures are (or can be) a Good Thing.

I stand by my statement that there's value in that effort. It may be
unlikely to see review for another year or so, but it shouldn't invalidate
the work.

Andrew Sutton
andrew.n.sutton_at_[hidden]