Subject: Re: [boost] Crypto Suite
From: Domagoj Saric (domagoj.saric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-07 09:41:09

"Chad Seibert" <chadseibert_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Well, as I'm writing the proposal, I'm more emphasizing the structure of
> generic
> implementations of crypto-like stuff, not the actual implementations of MD5,
> AES, RSA, etc. The second half of my proposal was on actual implementation,
> where I discuss using either Crypto++ or Botan, with author permission. I'm in
> the midst of getting that permission.

Just recently I had a need for an RSA + SHA message signature verification:
trying out OpenSSL, Crypto++ and Botan I was appalled with how bloated they
were...adding several hundred kilobytes to my binary for that 'single'
operation. Then I discovered LibTomCrypt:
ftp://ftp.eenet.ee/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/crypt-1.17.tar.bz2
ftp://ftp.eenet.ee/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/ltm-0.41.tar.bz2
ftp://ftp.eenet.ee/pub/FreeBSD/distfiles/tfm-0.12.tar.bz2
which is well documented and comparable in terms of features and speed to the
mentioned libraries but much smaller (here is a test
http://idlebox.net/2008/0714-cryptography-speedtest-comparison ). Unfortunately
it was abandoned by its author for personal reasons (
http://groups.google.com/group/libtom/browse_thread/thread/9d767a2b59629237?pli=1
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.crypt/browse_thread/thread/7ff411227ee5c2ba/bae8d72a25fcfe0b?lnk=gst&q=when+is+tom#bae8d72a25fcfe0b )
but it was, AFAICT, left in the public domain/'do whatever you want with it'...

So if you are still looking for a 3rd party library to wrap or pick up where
someone else left off (takeover TomCrypt) take a look ;)

--
"What Huxley teaches is that in the age of advanced technology, spiritual
devastation is more likely to come from an enemy with a smiling face than from