Subject: [boost] Crypto Library
From: Chad Seibert (chadseibert_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-07 15:38:09

> Hi,
>
> I've just got confirmation from Jack Lloyd that I can port Botan to Boost. He only uses Boost.Python currently because he was having issues with shared_ptr when compiling for ARM. However, I think that most of these issues will be resolved (or have been) when the porting process takes place. Is there any protocol for porting an entire library to Boost? I know that ASIO took a while for approval.

> So I'm going to ask a heretical question: why do you/he want to add it
> to Boost?

> Please don't make it header only in the process or I will be forced to
> look at CryptoPP which is guaranteed to make babies cry.

I was just getting a community response to porting a library, in this case Botan, vs constructing a library from scratch. Given that Botan is not heavily templatized, so there shouldn't be a reason this lib is headers only. However, any specializations will have to be. Tomorrow morning I'll have a draft proposal up for peer review.

Many thanks for your input,
Chad Seibert