Subject: Re: [boost] xml?
From: Larry Evans (cppljevans_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-09 11:14:43

On 04/08/10 12:58, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
[snip]

> For the boost.xml library I'm working on I plan to use something akin to
> boost.variant as the return type of an xpath query.

What does boost.variant lack that leads you to create something
akin to it?

> I don't think that
> the XPath specification should dictate a type hierarchy on a C++
> implementation.

What is there about the XPath specification that makes any type
hierarchy for modelling it less suitable than using something
akin to boost.variant?

You see, I'm wondering because using type hierarchies and
virtual functions has been touted as a great advantage of
OO programming; yet, it apparently lacks something which
you need. I'd like to understand what that is. Apparently
you're not the only one that's found a similar lack, as
shown by the following thread on the spirit-general ml
around Mar 4, 2010:

   http://preview.tinyurl.com/y4fk5rf

Thanks Stefan.

-regards,