Subject: Re: [boost] [result_of, tr1] decltype and incomplete types
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-12 22:50:54

On 4/12/2010 4:02 PM, Daniel Walker wrote:
<snip>

> I agree with the priorities you've expressed, and I'm glad you've
> pressed the issue here and on CWG. I think we're coming to a better
> understanding of things, now, and we can continue ironing out these
> issues after 1.43.

Right! And thank you for volunteering to maintain result_of. Your
efforts are truly appreciated.

One of the things we'll need to work out post-1.43 is if our migration
plan is sound. It necessarily means that, until all supported compilers
have decltype, boost::result_of will have a split personality: decltype
on some platforms, TR1 protocol on others. If we decide that's
acceptable, or can't come up with a better alternative, one of the
things you as maintainer will have to do is to help people deal with
this result_of two-step. That will involve exploring the nasty corner
cases, coming up with developer guidelines, educating people, improving
the documentation (which at this point is pretty paltry), etc, etc. You
may even have to submit patches to other Boost libraries to bring them
into compliance with your new guidelines.

Of course, the boost community, myself included, are here to help.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing