Subject: [boost] [serialization] alternative with inter-thread and network messaging
From: Scott Woods (scott.taiaha_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-21 01:11:03

Hi Boost,

I've been developing a serialization library to prove a few concepts and
this has recently started to bear fruit. It tackles the problem space in
quite
a distinct way resulting in features like runtime-selectable encodings and
out-of-the-box network messaging. Feel free to poke around in the
software at;

http://groups.google.co.nz/group/pact-serialization/web

Aspects of the design came from sources such as;

* SDL (http://www.sdl-forum.org/SDL/index.htm)
* Active Objects
(http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/PDF/Act-Obj.pdf>
)

The work was motivated by years of battling with proprietary encodings,
configuration files, data formats, telephony signaling systems and TCP
application
protocols. This is a framework to give all the related pieces a proper place

and
more importantly, to keep things like network APIs out of application code.

I would be interested in submitting this for Boost review but suspect that
the library is too big. It also overlaps with a long list of existing
components
including serialization, asio, MPI, threads, uuid, any, variant and
statechart.

Maybe the integration of all those facilities is interesting to Boost? Or if

there
was something that could be carved off for separate submission - perhaps the
UTF templates?

Advice from moderators would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Scott