Subject: Re: [boost] [1.43][beta] Fix for MPL under gcc 4.5
From: Thomas Klimpel (Thomas.Klimpel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-21 07:32:49

Thorsten Ottosen wrote:
> I in a perfect world, the GCC developers would actually test their
> compiler on Boost before releasing it, and report back to us that we
> have invalid code, or fix the compiler.
>
> What's stopping them? Or any compiler vendor for that sake?

See my answer to the opposite question: <http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2010/04/164678.php>

Neither msvc-10.0 nor gcc-4.5 are among the compilers that are tested for the release branch <http://www.boost.org/development/tests/release/developer/summary.html> for 1.43. So I guess it is a safe assumption that compatibility with msvc-10.0 or gcc-4.5 is not a release criteria for 1.43.

Making 1.44 more compatible with gcc-4.5 and MSVC-10 might be a good idea, but the first step in this direction should be to add msvc-10.0 and gcc-4.5
to the regression tests for the release branch. And no, I won't donate machine time for these regression tests.

Regards,
Thomas