Subject: Re: [boost] [1.43][beta] Fix for MPL under gcc 4.5
From: Thorsten Ottosen (nesotto_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-21 09:39:37

Tim Blechmann skrev:
>>> Can :
>>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/4061
>>>
>>> be fixed by merging the attached trivial patch ?
>>>
>>> gcc 4.5 borks up on a deep MPL internals that prevent some other
>>> component to not compile.
>> I in a perfect world, the GCC developers would actually test their
>> compiler on Boost before releasing it, and report back to us that we
>> have invalid code, or fix the compiler.
>
> saying `the other ones are responsible' is in no way helpful. this issue has
> been dealt with on april 1st [1] by the gcc devs, a month before the release
> of 1.43. however i remember other cases, when tickets with patches were
> filed against boost, to support new compiler releases, that were not dealt
> with for quite some time.
>
> in a real world, people will have to ship their own patched version of boost
> in order to support new compilers.

Well, I'm merely saying that we are both responsible. When there is a
bug in a released compiler, the compiler is responsible, but we end up
having to fix it. When the bug is in the library, we are responsible,
and we fix it. But other users of compilers will likely need to deal
with the same problems.

I was merely hoping that we could improve the way we work together, so
we for the benefit of both parties can avoid dealing with too many
compiler bugs after a release. Dealing with such problems seems to
consume quite much of the
time of the developers at Boost.

-Thorsten