Subject: Re: [boost] [Fusion] Permission to update release branch and roll in dependencies
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-21 13:14:56

Hi Tobias, sorry for he delay. I missed this the first time.

On 4/21/2010 2:49 AM, Tobias Schwinger wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Tobias Schwinger
>> <tschwinger_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> Dear release team,
>>>
>>> we're about to freeze the next release. I'd like to kindly ask for your
>>> permission to address the issues discussed in this thread
>>>
>>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/198532/
>>>
>>> before it's too late, again. Reportedly the outdated files do - other
>>> than hoped in that thread - NOT work anymore - and neither do the new
>>> and documented ones for the lack of dependencies.
>>>
>>> So, what I'd like to do is:
>>>
>>> o merge trunk changes into the Functional module of Fusion
>>> o add Forward
>>> o optionally add Factory
>>>
>>> Please check the new mini libraries for "release compliance" and give me
>>> a go on the fix.

We're in bug-fix mode for the next release. Are there test failures on
the release branch this will fix? Which ones? Which tickets will this
close? What revisions specifically are you asking to merge from trunk?
Can you send links to them?

>>> Would be too bad to go with a partially defunct Fusion
>>> in two releases for bureaucratic reasons.

Not for bureaucratic reasons. You had 3 months to merge your fixes from
trunk to release. IIRC, this is the second time you've waited until the
last minute to try to get these changes in. Don't blame the release
procedures or the release managers, who are doing their job as best they
can.

>>> Please also note that rolling back to a proper previous version might
>>> involve more changes and will complicate future merges for us.

Roll back what? Did anybody suggest that?

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing