Subject: [boost] [geometry] few questions
From: Janek Kozicki (janek_listy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-22 08:25:27

Hello,

By looking at the documentation I can see that Geometry library is
great for 2D polygons. I am working in 3D, so I wanted to ask about
what I can, and what I can't. Is it possible to define 3D shapes,
calculate their intersections, unions and so on? What about centroids
and second (geometrical) moments of inertia?

Does the geometry deal with spheres, or maybe other classical 3D
geometries, like ellipsoid, torus or cone? What about the infinite
geometries (like infinite cone)? Or infinitely long line?

Also I wanted to ask about 3D points regarded as vectors. Can I add
and subtract them? What about 3D vector cross product. What about dot
product? I guess that I need to write that 'very old formula'
function myself?

In fact, since you are well into the subject, perhaps you could tell
me if there are anywhere in boost a vector dot product and cross
product implemented?

Last but not least - I am doing frequently a 3D rotation of 3D points
using quaternions for that (this could work with rotation matrices
too). I suppose that I would need to implement this myself to "link"
boost::quaternion with boost::geometry::point3d.

please enlighten me and thank you very much for your time

--
Janek Kozicki                               http://janek.kozicki.pl/  |