Subject: Re: [boost] VC10 config - some regressions in several libraries
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-04-29 17:43:16

Jeffrey Hellrung wrote:
> Ion Gaztañaga wrote:
>> On 29/04/2010 20:00, Jeffrey Hellrung wrote:
>>
>>> I'm confused. So static_cast< Arg&& >(r) creates a new temporary
>>> object (rather than just a (rvalue) reference to the r object) when
>>> used in direct construction, but does not behave this way otherwise
>>> (e.g., the line after "//Correct binding" above?
>>
>> Yes, it's something strange, but I think this seems a compiler bug.
>> This makes some porting to MSVC-10.0 a bit harder. One option is to
>> store all the addresses in pointers and cast them back somehow
>> without bitting this bug.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to release boost version 1.43 even
with this pending issue.

a) VC 10.0 has only been released for a month ( I believe )
b) Presumably it will take a while from many copies to be "out there"
So the number of users with this issue is not yet large.
c) Anyone who really, really needs VC 10 and boost can likely
wait a couple of months for either a VC 10 service pack or boost 1.44
d) Looks like this is not a trivial issue. Attempts to address it
in "panic mode" might well create unintended consequences which
are currently unknown and can be very problematic. Seems like
it would be better to address it in the normal methodical way.
e) The sooner we get 1.43 out, the sooner that 1.44 will be out.
f) Presure builds for "just one more fix" from other libraries -
which can also lead to unforseen consequences.
g) This way of handling it can generate a lot of extra work. We
would hope that the "release process" be more routine and
auotmated. This kinds of minor snafus - although probably
unavoidable to some extent, should be minimized when we
can. I believe that this one (vc 10 and gcc 4.5 issue) falls
into this category.

So I thik it should be considered to release 1.43 NOW and
work on this other stuff for the next release.

Robert Ramey