Subject: Re: [boost] [xint] Third release is ready, requesting preliminary review
From: vicente.botet (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-01 13:09:53

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chad Nelson" <chad.thecomfychair_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2010 5:43 PM

>>> Certainly possible, though it would complicate the library.
>>
>> Couldn't you add a template parameter stating the thread model? This
>> parameter can be by default single_threaded, and the user can set it
>> also to multi_threaded. In this way you let the user of each
>> xint::integer to decide if the library must ensure thread safety or
>> not.
>
> That would solve the speed problem, but the dependency problem would
> remain -- the library would have to use Boost.Move and Boost.Thread
> always. (See the previous message in this thread for my reasons why that
> isn't desirable.)

I don't think the dependency is a problem.

BTW you have not answered yet to another post I did today.
""
you forget to say in the documentation that your library needs to be built and included on the user program. Ths is inportant to know for a lot of people.

"How do I use it?
That's the best part. If you've installed or compiled the Boost library already, all you need to do is add #include <boost/xint/xint.hpp> at the top of your source code file and declare your variable as type boost::xint::integer."
""

If your library needs already to be linked, I dont see a problem to link with lib thread also.

Another approach is to have two libraries one working with classes that are not thread safe and more efficient and the other thread safe, depending on Boost.Thread and less efficient.

Best,
Vicente