Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] Helping out Phoenix v3
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-03 23:31:54

On 5/4/2010 8:05 AM, Eric Niebler wrote:
> On 4/29/2010 10:41 PM, Thomas Heller wrote:
>> On Thursday 29 April 2010 19:54:03 Eric Niebler wrote:
>>> I've uploaded a simplified and cleaner version of this prototype here:
>>>
>>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/attachment/wiki/BoostPhoenix3/miniphoenix2.cpp
>>>
>>> It requires proto on boost trunk. At some point, I'll need to add to
>>> proto a hook to make it simpler to customize the terminal capture behavior.
>>
>> Thanks for the update.
>> I will have to examine it more closely. On first sight it looks very clean.
>> What i miss is the easy extentability. Do you have an idea for that?
>> I am currently working on getting Joel Falcous more phoenix like. After that,
>> i think i will want to merge your two approaches.
>> What do you think?
>
> Sorry for the delayed response. Extensibility is the strength of this
> phoenix design. Notice that it takes only about 80 lines of code to
> implement the core of phoenix. Even the placeholders are implemented as
> non-invasive extensions of this core. It's an open question whether it's
> desirable to hide the proto bits when exposing these customization
> points, and if so, what that would look like.

Thomas, as main architect of Phoenix, I'd like to take charge in
developing the core of Phoenix. Please give me some time though.
Right now I'm focused on BoostCon. Next week, at BoostCon, I'll
find some time to come up with an overall strategy on how we'll
tackle this.

At any rate, I do admire your enthusiasm. Please keep it up! :-)

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com