Subject: Re: [boost] [xint] Design Improvements (was Boost.Move vs Copy-on-Write timings)
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-04 14:01:53

Le 04/05/2010 16:39, Chad Nelson a écrit :

> On 05/04/2010 06:07 AM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
>
>> It might be interesting to make all your types convertible to views
>> (same as your integers, but only behaving as references to them), and
>> have your algorithms take views.
>> That way you wouldn't necessarily need the dynamic allocation.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you're suggesting. If views are the same
> as my integers, then they're essentially the same as base_integer as
> well, so that's what I'm already doing. Or am I missing something?

They do not own anything, they're simply thin wrappers on top of the
pointer, and you can construct them from the pointer and whatever
information you need as well.

That way the user does not need to allocate his memory with dynamic
memory allocation -- or even with your type -- to run your arbitrary
precision algorithms.