Subject: Re: [boost] [castor] Interest in Logic Paradigm for C++ ?
From: William Byrd (webyrd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-07 12:14:30

Hi Roshan!

I'm a newbie C++ programmer, but I have experience designing logic
programming languages (e.g., miniKanren in Scheme). I'm curious why
Castor doesn't implement full unification. Is this because of the
historical relationship between Castor and Leda?

There are many interesting logic programs that can't be written
naturally without full unification. (My dissertation contains many
such programs, so I'm biased!) Many people in the logic programming
community don't consider Mercury to be a real logic programming
language precisely because it doesn't support full unification.

Is Castor aiming towards the Mercury model, with the idea of adding
mode annotations, etc., in the future? That might be a nice sweet
spot for the Boost libraries. Otherwise, I would prefer to see full
unification in any official Boost logic programming language/library.
How hard would it be to add full unification to Castor, or to at least
allow full unification as an option?

--Will