Subject: Re: [boost] New list moderators needed!
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-09 17:24:13

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Actually moderating postings doesn't take a lot of time, since only
> postings from new posters need manual moderation. But we need
> moderators who read all or most postings, and step in when guidelines
> aren't being observed.

In a private message, I was asked:

>How many messages tend to need moderation each day?

Good question. It varies, but I'd guess about three on an average day.
Perhaps two thirds get approved right away, and because the poster
seems to follow the guidelines, I check a box in the moderation
interface that says "Clear this member's moderate flag".

Many of the postings that get rejected have a subject line problem,
such as not indicating what library was involved. For example, "Boost
compile failure". I've got a canned response for those, encouraging
the poster to fix and resubmit.

Only one moderator needs to deal with any given message. Once in a
great while something comes up where other moderators are queried for
their opinions, but that's rare.

HTH,

--Beman