Subject: Re: [boost] Namespace for a Boost Hashing Library
From: Phil Richards (news_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-11 05:40:39

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 12:19 -0400, Scott McMurray wrote:
> I initially used boost::hash, forgetting that the unordered containers
> have already claimed that name. A number of alternatives have been
> proposed, so I hoped to get some thoughts from the wider community.
[...]
> - boost::hash_algo or boost::hash_algorithms
> Following the string_algo precedent.

What is the "string_algo precedent"? The string algorithms are in
headers under boost/algorithm/string/, and live in namespace
boost::algorithm (but are also pulled into namespace boost).

[...]
> - boost::hash_algo
> It would be better to not use an abbrev.
> - boost::hash_algorithms or boost::hashing_algorithms or boost::message_digest
> Shorter namespaces are generally preferred, where possible.

If the name "algorithm" is going to be in the namespace at all, wouldn't
it make more sense to put it under boost::algorithm (either directly, or
as a nested namespace)?

Phil

--
Phil Richards, <news_at_[hidden]>