Subject: Re: [boost] Library for base64
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-15 04:18:25

On 15 May 2010 06:23, deninok <shev.denis_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> You are right, but what if length of enc is 1000000 symbols or more? Copying
> (in return operation) will be expensive.

Well, http://cpp-next.com/archive/2009/08/want-speed-pass-by-value/

That said, I prefer the enc(a, b); form because it allows b to be
something other than a std::string without needing to to write out the
name of the type.

I think what you'll find is that to be accepted, the library will need
to offer far more than just a std::string -> std::string interface.
At a very minimum it should be able to read from/append to a
vector<char>, and it should probably offer something like a streambuf
adaptor as well so that it can be used non-invasively.