Subject: Re: [boost] BoostCon 2011 Dates and Hotel Discount (this week only!)
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-18 20:12:13

At Tue, 18 May 2010 16:57:02 -0500,
Rene Rivera wrote:

> On 5/18/2010 4:50 PM, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> > On 05/18/2010 05:35 PM, Nelson, Erik - 2 wrote:
> >>
> >> Anyway, I'm just curious what people think about Aspen or
> >> alternatives for a BoostCon venue.
> >
> > I agree with you. Even if the venue is very nice, it's also very
> > inconvenient, at least for many of us.
>
> Same here.. And I've volunteered my time to do the on-the-ground work if
> the conference moved to the Chicago area in the past (after the first
> year we organized the conference).

Every year at BoostCon we discuss this. I don't think there's enough
interest—among those that actually show up—in exploring other
locations to make alternatives practical. I know I'm not much
interested in holding BoostCon anywhere in the US other than Aspen,
because

  1. atmosphere counts, and the conference just wouldn't be the same
     anywhere else.

  2. at this point, BoostCon pretty much goes off without a hitch and
     I don't want to figure out how to do it again in different
     circumstances.

…but if Boost develops a consensus to hold it elsewhere, I certainly
won't do anything to stand in the way.

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing