Subject: Re: [boost] [config] GCC symbol visibility across shared libraries
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-19 15:55:36

Jürgen Hunold wrote:
> I've skipped most of serialization/archive due the non-standard
> definition of the export/import macros. And it is the only library
> which has a special case for Borland
>
> #if defined(__BORLANDC__)
> #define BOOST_SERIALIZATION_DECL(T) T __export
>
> I'm not sure if this is still needed and why you decided to use this
> syntax. I hope that you can shed some light on this and maybe unify
> those macros, too.

I only did this as there wasn't anything else to do it. That is, I wasn't
aware that there was some "standard" syntax. I don't remember
much about it - it was maybe 8 years ago. But I do remember
that reconciling the gcc/msvc/borland syntax was a pain and
I'm sure that's what drove the syntax I settled on.

Robert Ramey