Subject: Re: [boost] [Booster] Or boost is useless for library developers
From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-19 15:59:39

On 19 May 2010 21:49, Gennadiy Rozental <rogeeff_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I do not think this is ridiculous. This is well known fact. Templates do lead to
> the larger code size and larger compilation time. You can hardly argue with that.

*Instantiated* templates lead to code size. Non-instantiated ones are
a parsing cost, but nothing else.

Compared to a runtime collection where everything is provided through
some string factory interface, in the usual case of using, say, 2 hash
algorithms of the dozen provided, the template code can easily be
smaller.

> The same time I agree that they lead to better performance in many cases. Not
> always. I had number of real life scenarios where excessive inlining lead to
> losing locality and eventually worse performance.

Excessive inlining is an optimizer issue orthogonal to template usage.