Subject: Re: [boost] [Booster] Or boost is useless for library developers
From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-20 13:47:40

On 05/20/2010 12:38 PM, Artyom wrote:
>> What I find strange is that Boost librariy developers, in
>> general, seems to
>> agree that template bloat is of no or little concern,
>> #include dependencies
>> is of no or little concern, and compilation time for
>> end-user is of
>> absolutely no concern.
>>

> You just said what I was thinking about. There is some kind
> of Urban Myths in Boost community
>
> - Headers always better then sources.
> - Inline functions is best way to improve performance.
> - Concepts are **always** better then inheritance (even if they
> triple the size of the code).

Each time has its dogmas and zealots. What used to be the OO hype now
seems to have become the above, at least in the corner of the world that
this community is occupying.

One of the best things about C++ is that it supports many differen
programming paradigms. Choosing the right one(s) for a particular
problem domain is definitely not a trivial task. (It may even involve
hybrid programming, i.e. involve multiple languages deployed together.)

     Stefan