Subject: [boost] Maintenance Patches and cleaning up trac
From: Christopher Jefferson (chris_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-21 10:52:55

Having recent been browsing through boost trac I have noticed that it seems to be getting a little clogged with some very simple patches.

Examples of simple patches:

https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/3402 - simple documentation patch, 6 months old, duplicated.
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/3669 - add stdint.h to thread, fixes comeau, 6 months old.
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/4060 - boost thread support for BOOST_NO_IOSTREAM

I notice these 3 are in 'thread', and several others are in 'filesystem'.

I do not wish to maintain these libraries myself, and it appears no-one else is coming forward to keep these libraries ticking over on a day-to-day basis. I would however personally be happy (possibly with help) to look at applying these patches, and applying the to trunk, and then release in time, assuming they pass regression testing.

I would suggest a policy something like the following:

1) If a patch is considered to be "trivially obvious", mark the patch in trac, by leaving a comment, as a 'maintenance patch'.
2) If no-one disagrees within some period of time (2 weeks? 3?), then the patch is applied to trunk. If it passes regression testing it is then moved to release.

Any thoughts on the topic?

Chris