Subject: Re: [boost] 1.43 build broken on MSVC 8.0
From: Gevorg Voskanyan (v_gevorg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-22 08:24:49

Hi OvermindDL1!

OvermindDL1 wrote:
> <fanciful-ideas>
> Well if it was re-written, and felt like rewriting the bjam source
> too, the latest Spirit has developed an infinitely extensible
> S-Expression based language designed
> for such C++ embedding as an example.
> </fanciful-ideas>

While the idea looks truly attractive to me, I have doubts over its practicality. The following is listed among the most important features in the Overview page of Boost.Build:

"Standalone. Boost.Build's only dependency is a C compiler, so it's easy to setup. You can even include all of Boost.Build in
your project. Boost.Build does not depend on C++ Boost in any way."

Copied from http://www.boost.org/boost-build2/index.html

Also, I now remember reading this a while ago:
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/milestone/Boost.Jam%204.0.0

Another thing to note is that building bjam from source is currently an *impressively* fast operation; that property would surely be lost had bjam been reimplemented based on Boost.Spirit. OTOH, as building of bjam itself is relatively infrequent, I would trade the speed of building bjam for the speed of building my projects *with* bjam any day.

Thinking aloud,
Gevorg