Subject: Re: [boost] ryppl and cmake
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-24 14:10:27

At Mon, 24 May 2010 19:47:00 +0200,
joel falcou wrote:

> Just askign around. Can't ryppl be CVS agnostic ? or at least support
> stuff like Mercurial and Bazaar
> as an option ? It seems counterproductive to be tied to git for the
> distribution part.

Joel:

0. Cross-posting to the ryppl-dev list

1. Yes, in principle it can support those other VCSes. In fact,
   there's infrastructure in PIP that allows the specifics of the VCS
   to be abstracted away.

2. My priority is on smoothness of operation. I want all the
   workflows described at http://ryppl.org/workflows.html to be as
   painless as possible, and I'm perfectly happy to mandate the use of
   Git for ryppl if it is going to make the difference between “just
   works” and “hassle.” If you really want to use Mercurial for your
   own development you can always leverage hg-git
   (http://hg-git.github.com), and I'm sure there's something similar
   for bzr.

3. At the risk of alienating some people… I believe Git is going to
   win the DVCS wars. It has the momentum. And as truly obnoxious as
   Linus' remarks about other VCSes have been, I have been working
   with them too recently, and I am forced to agree with him. So I'm
   personally not interested in investing much effort in other VCSes.

4. However, if someone comes along who wants to do the work, and can
   make me confident that s/he'll maintain it, and can make me
   confident that the system won't have to sacrifice usability, well
   then I have no objections :^)

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing