Subject: Re: [boost] [polygon] tutorial done and library ready for release
From: Dean Michael Berris (mikhailberis_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-26 03:04:10

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 2:31 AM, Simonson, Lucanus J
<lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Dean Michael Berris wrote:
>>
>> How about the simple problems like finding out whether two lines
>> intersect, the resulting area of the union of two or more polygons, or
>> maybe the convex hull problem? Those would really be interesting
>> problems to illustrate solving using your library and would generally
>> be more suitable to demo how to use and leverage the data structures
>> and algorithms in the library.
>
> Did you read the example code named polygon usage https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/gtl/doc/gtl_polygon_usage.htm and polygon set usage https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/gtl/doc/gtl_polygon_set_usage.htm?

[snip code]

Unfortunately no, but it would be good to make a tutorial that has
starts with these simple problems, and works its way up to...

[snip]

> Convex hull would be a feature I could add to the library, and I could certainly write a document describing how I implemented it, however I don't plan on implementing it and would refer people to the boost.geometry implementation of that algorithm.

.. the convex hull implementation using Boost.Geometry.

> Since it is clear that people would prefer a simpler tutorial with no domain specific slant I'll write an additional tutorial demonstrating some different features of the library.

It's just me though, I'm not sure if others are having any problems
with the current tutorial. ;)

> Thanks for taking the time to look at the tutorial,

You're welcome. Have a great day!

--
Dean Michael Berris
deanberris.com