Subject: Re: [boost] [proposal] The boost.org Maintenance Effort
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-26 10:58:28

At Wed, 26 May 2010 09:19:05 -0400, Stewart, Robert wrote:

> > Participation
> >
> > * Let's encourage participation in the form of comments to blog
> > posts, feedback on documentation pages, and discussions on specific
> > topics/threads.
>
> It is already painful to keep up with all of the different places
> where people choose to post information. Do we really need more?
> I'm wary of the fragmentation that this could engender, but perhaps
> the user side of Boost would benefit most from this change.

One point in favor: Google “likes” blogs.

> > * Let's foster a more community-driven way of solving problems
> > without having to require everyone to be part of a central list.
>
> The lists can be off-putting, to be sure. Greater segregation is
> useful but it leads to information silos.

Not if you do it right. With a hierarchical forum you can be
subscribed to everything or get very specific.

> > * Let's allow communities around Boost libraries to grow and get
> > things done on the boost.org website.
>
> Building library-specific communities is a good idea.
>
> > Step 1: Move static and not-so-static content over to Wordpress MU [0]
>
> Like Beman, I really don't know what that means in terms of
> appearance, layout, navigation, or management.

It could mean anything in terms of appearance, layout, and
navigation. But it starts with a site structure that many people are
already comfortable with.

> > 2. Incorporating a DisQus [2] discussion system to manage comments
> > on pages. There is already a Wordpress plugin for this and comment
> > moderation would mostly be handled initially by me and other
> > administrators interested in helping out in this effort.
>
> Comments for blog posts, doc pages, etc., could be useful. Does DisQus handle the spam issue?

WP-SpamFree does that. (Google it).

--
Dave Abrahams           Meet me at BoostCon: http://www.boostcon.com
BoostPro Computing