Subject: Re: [boost] [parameter] std proposal
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-26 21:13:37

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Lorenzo Caminiti <lorcaminiti_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:59 AM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> At Wed, 26 May 2010 17:59:14 +0400,
>> Dmitry Goncharov wrote:
>>> >

>>> named parameters were rejected years ago.
>>
>> They were raised and dropped, but that doesn't mean they can't come back.
>
> Yes, from "Design and Evolution of C++" Section 6.5.1:
> << Roland Hartinger's proposal for keyword arguments, that is, for a
> mechanism for specifying arguments by name in a call, was close to
> technically perfect. The reason the proposal was withdrawn rather than
> accepted is therefore particularly interesting... >>
>
> Does anyone have a reference to the actual proposal from Roland
> Hartinger? (I could not find it on the Internet...)

I suspect Roland's proposal goes back to the days before documents
were made available electronically. You might try to contact him - he
was head of the C++ compiler construction group at Siemens Nixdorf, so
you might be able to find him via google.

Dave is right, bye the way. Today is a new day. Don't worry about
stuff rejected years ago, although it does help to know what people
objected too..

--Beman