Subject: Re: [boost] Review of a safer memory management approach for C++?
From: Ingo Loehken (Ingo.Loehken_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-28 11:35:21

How about resources shared across multiple instances, where the shared
resource is hold
by a static to a weak_ptr and each instance participating to that resource
holds it as a shared
ptr, to guarantee that there is no lifetime prolongation (same as approach
for std::cout and others).
Assumption for above statement : Construction of the resource is quite
expensive.

Another limitation, is if you do not have the choice. Relying on other
frameworks, passing
around objects with embedded reference counts, to enable sharing across
language barriers,
such like done by XPCOM in Mozilla between JS and C++ via idl.