Subject: Re: [boost] boost::log access violation with global objects destructors
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-29 07:06:47

On 29.05.2010 3:04, Philippe Vaucher wrote:
>> Considering the code snippet, the core is sure to be intact. But it's just
>> one of the requirements to be able to write logs in global destructors.
>> There are other things required, such as the logger. I would recommend to
>> store the logger in the global object to guarantee that. However, as far as
>> I can see your particular code snippet should be fine in this regard.
>> Strange.
>

> Here is a little more information: this happens with VC++ express 2008. It
> originally happend with a severity_logger_mt when Qt issued a qWarning()
> after main() returned from within a destructor and I wanted to log that
> warning. The access violation was within some mutex/lock code from
> boost::thread, but I also saw it fail in boost::intrusive or other libs
> boost::log was using depending on how I moved code around. I'll try to
> provide a trace on monday.

Hmm, it seems that this problem is, too, related to the
compiler-supplied TLS. The thread-specific attributes cannot be acquired
by the core when the global destructors are run. Try defining
BOOST_LOG_NO_COMPILER_TLS and rebuilding Boost.Log, it solved the
problem for me.

PS: I guess, the compiler-supplied TLS is a too hazardous optimization.
I'll make it disabled by default in the next release.