Subject: Re: [boost] [range_ex] proper attribution
From: Neil Groves (neil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-05-31 17:28:42

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The history of range algorithms in Boost goes back a long way. I'd like
> to see http://tinyurl.com/2d778f4 reflect that.

Including more of the history in the acknolwedgement section is a great
idea. This will much more effectively communicate the contributions and
sources of code, design and inspiration.

> When I wrote my earlier incomplete RangeEx library, I was careful to
> acknowledge (http://tinyurl.com/2dwdrhg) that I had borrowed heavily
> from the Container Algorithms library first written by Jeremy Siek and
> Vladimir Prus. If, as seems likely, Boost.RangeEx owes a debt to my
> RangeEx library, that should be noted, as well as the debt owed to
> Jeremy and Vladimir.

It does owe a debt to Eric's RangeEx library, and actually a few other
libraries and many informal meetings and discussions. Having Eric down as
merely 'feedback' as I currently do is a mistake. This will be corrected for
the next release.

Before the RangeEx work were completed I did not look far enough ahead to
keep track of the sources of code and ideas to make the writing of the
acknowledgement section as complete and correct as I should have. I now take
more notes to reduce the chance of this sort of mistake happening again.

If there are others that feel that the acknowledgement section is
misleading, incomplete, or could be improved, please help me to put this
right. I want to acknowledge everyone that helped.

I sincerely apologize for my mistake.

Regards,
Neil Groves