Subject: Re: [boost] [polygon] tutorial done and library ready for release
From: Fernando Cacciola (fernando.cacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-01 10:26:32

Hi Luc,

While I agree with Dean about the current tutorials being perhaps too
domain-specific, I do find that they give a good overall sense of the library,
specially in combination with the examples.

Would I would do to complete the "overview" picture is "annotate" the examples.

That is, they do contains a few remarks, but IMO thet could use longer comments
explaning rather than just restating what the code is doing.
For example.. from Point Usage:

   //constructing a gtl point
   typedef gtl::point_data<int> Point;
   int x = 10;
   int y = 20;
   Point pt(x, y);
   assert(gtl::x(pt) == 10);
   assert(gtl::y(pt) == 20);

There it could say that point_data<> is one particular model provided by the
library BUT that the library is designed to be completely generic, so that could
just as well have been a user defined type properly "adapted"

   //a quick primer in isotropic point access
   typedef gtl::orientation_2d O;
   using gtl::HORIZONTAL;
   using gtl::VERTICAL;
   O o = HORIZONTAL;
   assert(gtl::x(pt) == gtl::get(pt, o));

Here it could say a few words about why isotropic access is useful and why it is
part of the library API.

And so on with all the examples.

Having said, as a review manager, I believe the library is ready to be released.

Best

Fernando Cacciola