Subject: Re: [boost] [endian] swap_in_place use case
From: Terry Golubiewski (tjgolubi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-06-04 16:57:12

> I'm looking for a specific application, (perhaps a specific video
> compression algorithm), that I can try.
> My previous test program read a large disk file, as you proposed. Now, I
> need something

The FFT and PCM Encoding are both good sample cases.
Depending on the bandwidth, the number of samples can be very large.
ie. each 1-MHz requires 2 Megasamples per second with up to 16-bits per
sample,
and it has to be done fast. These algorithms typically require multiple
passes through homogeneous input data
and are typically done in place. The FFT is O(N log N).

Its clear to me now that some form of in-place-endian conversion should be a
part of an endian library.
Furthermore, that conversion should be specializable for data types where
the target hardware supports endian conversion.

terry